Friday, July 11, 2008

Independent's Day 3: The Wackness

If you read my reviews regularly, than you have one of two opinions about me. You either think 1)I don't like anything or 2)I'm a movie snob. I don't think either is true. I like a lot of movies ... and Wayne's World is my all time favorite, so you can't really call me a movie snob. I think it's a case of this summer leaving a lot to be desired. We have only had two blockbusters (Iron Man and Wall*E) that are worth the money your ticket was printed on, and that indy film that's sure to be a breakout either hasn't hit theatres yet or just isn't coming out this summer.

So with that lead in, you can probably tell I didn't like The Wackness. The movie is set in 1994 and at times you wonder if writer/director Jonathan Levine actually has a story to tell or if he just wants to remind you what year he graduated from high school. The dialogue is terrible. The acting (in a lot of cases) misses the mark. The cinematography at times tries to be trippy and artistic, but trust me, it's nothing you haven't seen before. The rest of the time it's nothing you can't see on a Seinfeld rerun. It runs for just over an hour and a half, but you would swear that hour and a half is actually three and a half hours if you didn't have a watch.

I mentioned that the acting misses the mark. That's true in the case of Josh Peck and his character Luke Shapiro. It's hard for me to believe that Peck really loved this script. Instead it seems to me that he's trying to get away from his pudgy, Nickelodeon past.



Shapiro isn't a nerd. He isn't popular. All of the cool kids by pot from him, so they respect him, but not enough to hang out with him, so he befriends Ben Kingsley's Dr. Jeffrey Squires. Kingsley just looks bored in this role - like he showed up for the paycheck and/or craft service table. This leads to the film's only bright spot, Squires' step daughter Stephanie played by Olivia Thirlby from Juno.

There's no doubt that Thirlby is going to be a huge star. She is terrific and really the only actor in the movie worth watching. She's got great delivery and comic timing and she's a sex symbol waiting to happen.



Alright, here's my long list of problems with the movie. First, do we really need 1994 nostalgia? It's fine to set your movie in 1994, but the OJ Simpson, Kurt Cobain, and Rudy Giuliani references are useless. Second, the script misses tons of chances to mine situations for comedy. Dr. Squires analyzes a Jamaican drug lord's dream. That could go any number of places, and it just died on the table. There wasn't a single laugh in the theatre. Next, I never ever need to see the Olsen twins in anything. Especially if it involves one of them making out with Gandhi.



Also, this movie committed what I believe is the unltimate cinematic sin - tipping it's hand and giving away the ending within the first half hour. And finally, does every independent coming-of-age comedy now have to have a climactic scene set to Mott the Hoople's "All the Young Dudes"? Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome song. I just don't need it to be the soundtrack to every moment a kid realizes what direction they want their lives to go in.

The Wackness left me feeling dumb and cheated. I want the hour and a half of my life back ... no, since the movie felt like it lasted three and a half hours, I want three and a half hours back.

The Greek gives it a D.

No comments: