Thursday, August 7, 2008

Pineapple Express

Have you ever wondered how two people can watch the same thing and each see something completely different? That was certainly the case when my wife and I went to see Pineapple Express. I didn't think it was awful. The movie certainly had it's moments (including a very funny discussion of Buddhism and Reincarnation). My wife on the other hand was ready to go less than an hour in.

I will admit, that I had very high (no pun intended) for Judd Apatow's stoner comedy. The red band trailer made the movie look like something I couldn't afford to miss.




It looks like something completely new for the Apatow crew, right? A lot of action. Seth Rogan as "the responsible one." A buddy comedy that doesn't have a larger moral lesson. Turns out that not only is Pineapple Express really nothing new for producer Judd Apatow and writers Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg. It's actually nothing new for this summer of crappy movies. That doesn't mean that Pineapple Express is awful. It's just another mediocre entry in what has been a very forgettable summer at the box office.

This movie isn't even really an action comedy. It's kind of like an Oreo cookie.



The two chocolate cookies in this case are comedy. The creamy filling is action. They taste great together, but they don't necessarily blend into one another. In fact, the film's climactic rescue scene feels a little out of place.

There really isn't a bad actor in the group, although I'm not sure how or why Rosie Perez landed a role in Pineapple Express. Seth Rogan's character Dale is what I imagine his Knocked Up character Ben Stone was like during that coming of age that was kind of skipped over. He's responsible enough to have a full time job, but not so buttoned up that he doesn't still spend most of his time stoned out of his gourd. James Franco did a bang up job as Sal. Since he really broke out in Spider-Man he hasn't really played a part like this and he did a great job.

It was nice to see Danny McBride pop up as middle-man Red. Even though I didn't really care for The Foot Fist Way, I still think he is very funny and has a bright future. Gary Cole delivers another great performance as kingpin Ted Jones.

Pineapple Express might be a break out for Craig Robinson. You probably recognize him as warehouse manager Darryl on The Office. If not, you may know him from just about every other Judd Apatow movie.



Could he be the next character actor Apatow turns into a leading man? I certainly hope not. I think one thing that Pineapple Express shows about Robinson is that he has a gift for creating quirky, supporting characters - like the doorman in Knocked Up.

I'm a fan of Seth Rogan, Evan Goldberg and Judd Apatow. I really expected this movie to blow me away and it just didn't. Superbad, Knocked Up, The 40 Year Old Virgin, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall are all terrific comedies, but they are cut from the same mold - goofy, bawdy comedies with a ton of heart. I was ready to see something different. Pineapple Express proves the rule "if it ain't broke don't fix it." The movie isn't bad. Just forgettable.

The Greek gives it a B-.

No comments: